Coming out of the our annual convention, we wanted to take a moment to think about what President Obama has really done in the less than three years he’s been in office.
If you search “President Obama Accomplishments” online, you certainly will not find a definitive list of accomplishments by the Obama Administration even though they have accomplished a myriad of major milestones in under three years. President Obama isn’t one to brag. He isn’t a talker—he’s a doer. He is a real Illinoisan who doesn’t sit on his laurels but rather puts his head down, rolls his sleeves up—and gets to work.
Unfortunately, too often we hear—what has President Obama REALLY accomplished while in office? What has he REALLY done for me?
Well, let’s help you answer that.
- Ensured that all workers in America are paid what they deserve regardless of race, gender or age by passing the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
- Made sure that college was more affordable by passing student loan reform.
- Ended discrimination against gays and lesbians in our armed forces by repealing ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’
- Reformed the American health care system to improve the quality of care for all Americans, lower costs and hold insurance companies accountable by passing The Affordable Care Act.
- Passed the Food Safety Modernization Act, which is the largest overhaul of our nation’s food safety system in decades.
- Raised standards in our schools by passing Race to the Top Education Reform that improves teacher accountability, supports innovation and provides additional funding through interstate competitions.
- Saved thousands of jobs by saving General Motors from closing their doors. It was a smart investment in our economy—they’ve posted billion dollar profits and recovery is about six years ahead of schedule.
- Overhauled the school food system and increased standards for school meal nutrition in an effort to reduce child obesity and hunger by passing the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. We have to send a big thank you to First Lady Michelle Obama on this one as well!
- Spurred private-sector growth and job creation through the Small Business Jobs Act.
- Ordered the capture and kill of the number one terrorist in the world, Osama bin Laden.
- Nominated two women to the U.S. Supreme Court: Supreme Court Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor.
- Ended combat operations in Iraq.
- Saved and created millions of jobs by investing unprecedented resources in our country’s infrastructure and preventing a second Great Depression by passing The Recovery Act.
Oh and then there’s:
- The New START Treaty (reducing the world’s nuclear arsenal)
- The CARD Act (Credit Card Reform)
- The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (prohibits tobacco companies from targeting children)
- Veterans’ Benefits Act of 2010 (more jobs, less homelessness and much more)
- Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act (expands national service programs and encourages more Americans to serve their communities)
- The Human Rights Enforcement Act (helps enforce human rights laws and improves existing laws regarding genocide)
- The Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment (HIRE) Act (cut taxes for hiring employees who have been searching for jobs for an extended period)
- Wall Street Reform
- New GI Bill
And, we are sure there’s more but we will have to continue our list another day.
We say that’s a pretty good list. Heck, he’s only been in office for 28 months. So please take a moment to share this list with friends, family and neighbors and maybe even print it out so that the next time you hear someone say “what has President Obama really done…” you can give them some talking points too.
Leave a Reply